I’m taking the leap into blogdom. Because the world needs to know what one more person thinks.
Apparently, we’re wired this way. We like the immediacy (or the dopamine); we seek out the stimulation from multitasking much as those squirrels who dash in front of cars seek the adrenaline rush. Till they, um, don’t.
After a speaking gig earlier this year, an exec of the professional association that sponsored the meeting called to say he’d made a referral. He then said something like, “Believe me, I’ve seen lots of diversity programs. What you do is different. Your approach needs to get out there.”
His words had a particularly meaningful impact. Like most people, I love positive feedback but this was different. It felt like encouragement of another order.
So now, I’m out here. And…
I want to be clear about my goals for launching yet another beeping (or is it bleeping?) satellite into the blogosphere. I want to:
- Give you, my readers, ideas about how to make diversity work in your companies and communities.
- Provide practical tools you can use to grow the diversity discussion and inspire effective action.
- Contribute to the broader conversation on what diversity means, especially in the U.S.
- Find out how I can contribute to your efforts.
- Encourage deeper thinking about the role of diversity in our own lives and work, and how it underlies the most compelling issues of our times.
I hope you’ll join me here. I hope you’ll find things of value and things to share, and will comment on them. And I hope that if I veer too far from the goals set forth here, you’ll let me know!Coming up: Defining diversity, building an initiative, the assault on diversity and more…
One Response to “Jody Alyn’s Diversity Leader Blog”
Leave a Reply